June brings nice weather throughout most of the country. With the nice weather comes several outdoor festivals and events–many just a short drive from home.
Chicago Blues Fest
June 13 -15, 2014, Chicago, IL
This festival began in 1984, a year after the death of blues legend Muddy Waters. As an important Chicago institution, the Chicago Blues Festival is a significant part of the city’s tradition and emphasizes the many musicians who have spent their lives playing and singing the blues.
Past notables who have performed at this festival are T-Bone Walker, Bessie Smith, Robert Johnson, and Eddie Taylor. Other notables, such as Chuck Berry, have performed on stage with John Lee Hooker and Keith Richards. These concerts have held their audiences spellbound. If you like the Blues there are two stages going simultaneously. This event is also a great place to people watch.
Food and Wine Festivals
If you like food and wine festivals, there are several around the country in June.
- Aspen Food and Wine Classic , Monterey CA, June 7-8. This is the 38th annual wine festival.Most events are at the Monterey Custom House Plaza. During this time, there is also the West Coast Chowder Competition, held on June 7.
- Monterey Wine Festival ,Aspen, CO, June 14–16, 2014. This adult-only mountain festival is divided into seven distinct categories, each lasting 45 minutes, with several going on at the same time. The event speakers are famous chiefs and talented food and wine professionals
- Vintage Indiana Wine & Food Festival , Indianapolis, IN, June 7, 2014. Downtown Indianapolis is the site of this annual festival. The 14th festival will feature the products of Indiana wineries and mouth-watering food prepared by a few of Indiana’s top culinary professionals. Non-stop entertainment for your listening pleasure will be available. Also the first 10,000 through the gate receive an etched wine glass.
- The Georgia Peach Festival , Byron, GA, June 6-7, 2014. Featuring the Georgia peach this festival runs June 6-7 in Byron,GA. The following weekend (June 13-14), the festival continues at Fort Valley, GA. Sunday, at both locations, features live entertainment
- The Taste of Blooming ton IN , June 21, 2014.This is the area’s choice summer event. This year’s event runs from 3 PM to 11 PM. This event features many of Blooming ton’s finest restaurants, breweries,and local wineries. Live entertainment is also provided.
- The Emmett Cherry Festival , Emmett, ID. The festival was started in the 1930s, and is still held the second week in June by not only the community of Emmett, but all of Gem County to celebrate the abundance of their valley. This is the region’s lengthiest recurrently running festival. The Cherry Festival traditional events feature contests and food items, along with concerts and a carnival atmosphere. The event takes place in the Emmett City Park and starts on Wednesday and runs through Saturday.
- Polar Seltzer Great Chowder Cook-Off & Newport Oyster Festival , Newport, RI, June 7, 2014. If you love seafood then this event is for you. It has been highlighted on the Travel Channel and Food Network. The festivities begin at noon and run through 6:00 p.m. The event has three categories of chowder for judging:clam, seafood, and creative. The Oyster Festival has all your favorite shellfish available—not only oysters, but also clams and scallops served raw or fried. Lobster rolls and shrimp cocktails are also available.